There is no better way to revolutionize and energize your spiritual life than starting the New Year 2019 with prayer and fasting. Following are some simple and encouraging Scriptures and tips about the COPFM Congregational Daniel Fast beginning 1/7/2019. You will be greatly blessed as you dedicate special time to God by seeking His heart and His will for you, your family and His Church. Don’t miss this wonderful opportunity to join the COPFM as we start this New Year in consecration.
The definition of fasting is to restrict food for a spiritual purpose (Read Isaiah 58).
The Daniel Fast: “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” (Daniel 10:2,3)
Jesus fasted: Before He began His public ministry Jesus spent 40 days in prayer and fasting. This prepared Him to accomplish the Father’s will for His life. (Read Luke 4:1-14) Christ’s disciples are called to pray and fast: Jesus explained the need for His disciples to pray and fast. (Read Mark 2:18-22; Matthew 17:14-21)
What is the Daniel Fast?
The Daniel Fast is a biblically based partial fast. It is a method of fasting that men, women and young people all over the world are using as they enter into the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting. There are two anchoring scriptures for the Daniel Fast. In Daniel 1 the prophet ate only vegetables (that would have included fruits) and drank only water.
So from these scriptures we get two of the guidelines for the fast:
1. Only fruits and vegetables.
2. Only water for a beverage. In Daniel 10 we read that the prophet ate no meat nor any precious breads or foods and he drank no wine for 21 days. So from this scripture, we get a third guideline:
3. No sweeteners and no breads. Another important guideline is drawn from Jewish fasting principles, where no leaven is used during the fast. So that’s why yeast, baking powder and the like are not allowed on the Daniel Fast.
4. Finally, with all the above puzzle pieces, we conclude that no artificial or processed foods nor any chemicals are allowed on the Daniel Fast. When asked about the eating plan on the Daniel Fast, I often say it is basically a “vegetarian diet with a few more restrictions.”
During your Daniel Fast, you will spend time drawing closer to God in prayer and studying His Word. You may already be experienced in studying the Bible and have adopted methods that will work for you. But if you are like some who feel a bit unsure about how to read and study the Bible, let me offer these tips. Read the Gospels; Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. If you want to read the Bible through in one year, you can easily find them at www.biblegateway.com and begin reading the listed passages starting January 7th. To enrich your prayer and Bible reading, my suggestion is to underline the verses that you feel speak and apply to you, write them on a pad of paper and memorize them. I also suggest that you journal your thoughts and questions as you read, as well as your prayer requests each day. I have found it to be absolutely awesome when you look back on your journal throughout the year and see how God answered your prayers and how much you have grown in your faith. I also suggest that you partner with a close friend in the church (male with male, female with female) who is doing the fast as well. It is important that you hold each other accountable during the fast. You should schedule 30 minutes to an hour or more each day for prayer and Bible reading.
Do not forget to be a part of the Monday night Intercessory Prayer and Wednesday night Bible Study. You will be greatly blessed as you join with other believers wanting a deeper relationship with God. As you pray and fast throughout each day, you do not want to do it alone. The Monday night Intercessory Prayer gathering is a great way to feel the support and love of other believers who are fasting and praying during this time. The Daniel Fast is a very special time each year that COPFM sets aside for you and your family to draw closer to God. Many folks have seen God do amazing things in their lives as a result of participating in this time of consecration. I believe God has a special blessing for you as well. I will be praying for all you to grow closer to God during this special time of fasting and prayer.
God Bless You!
Bishop Joel and Pastor Ylawnda Peebles
The Daniel Fast Food List
- All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
- All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk. Nut butters are also included.
- All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
- All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
- Beverages– distilled water, filtered water, and spring water.
- Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, soy products, and tofu.
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat & animal products – bacon, beef, buffalo, eggs, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
- All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, milk, and yogurt.
- All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, brown rice syrup, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
- All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey).
- All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
- All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
- All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
- Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea and tea.